The photos above are of a sunset in the Masai Mara and a cheetah eating a waterbuck in the Masai Mara. More photos to follow, but Blogger sucks for photos. So the majority will be on facebook.
I realize it’s been two weeks since I last blogged, how exactly that happened I’m not sure. I spent some time enjoying Nairobi – finally having my driving lessons in the kick-ass Toyota safari machine! I’ve got the shifting down pretty much, but will hold off on getting on the roads because I haven’t mastered the matatus, people, and horrible drivers that I’d be sharing the road with in Nairobi.
I spent the last week on safari in the Masai Mara. Due to a number of elements combined, it’s one of the best places to see animals in the world. The week included sightings of all kinds – lions, leopards, cheetahs, rhinos, elephants, baby elephants, hippos, baby hippos, baboons, baby baboons, hyena and many more!!!!
In reference to the title, Encyclopedia West is an understatement when describing Phil West and his wealth of knowledge about ANYTHING in Eastern and Southern Africa. I have to comment on this aspect of the trip because in all honesty it blew me away more so than the animals. It’s almost indescribable. For example, he took some of the spouses on a walk around the camp. He could have easily gone 10 meters and talked for an hour. We strolled through the camp and he stopped every few feet showing us the plants, their medicinal purposes, insects, tracks, etc. Again, I’m not giving it justice. Unlike most other guides, his knowledge encompasses plantlife, wildlife, geology, meteorology, mythology, astrology, and anthropology…for a number of countries. It was crazy. Other guides came along during his impromptu “walk” to learn some extra stuff. It may sound weird that I’m going on about this stuff, but it was unfathomable at times.
So – the Lady Leopard Spotter! Our first morning in camp at about 6:00 am, when all the cars were filling up and heading off for a game drive, I decided I’d hang back – not sure if I should be on the game drive or helping out at camp. Much to my excitement the cars drove off and Phil and Johan (the croc jumping life saver) started walking back towards the mess. Huh??!!! The two best guides aren’t going on the game drive? One-armed Phil can’t drive and a client basically kicked him out of his passenger seat – WHAT AN IDIOT!!! Johan didn’t have anyone in his car. We hung around for a little while, waiting on a delayed client to appear out of the woods and ask where everyone had gone. No such luck! So we were free. I got to go on a game drive with just the two of them and no wageni (clients). After about thirty minutes we made it to the river and as we were crossing, Phil had Johan stop and he got out to examine some tracks on the river bed. As he said “man these are seriously fresh tracks” I saw a blur of motion and watched a leopard run from about five feet from Phil towards the cover of a bush. Phil and Johan jumped in the car and we tracked her for about two hours. We called over one of the other cars and we basically found her again and again so the wageni could get photos. At one point she went into a huge thicket of bushes and trees. Phil said “I’m sure she’s headed for those big trees way down there, let’s go wait for her.” We went and waited. The other car followed. Nothing. As we decided to leave, low and behold, here she comes strolling up. It was amazing! She walked RIGHT past the car. It was by far the best morning.
I can’t write anymore but will include more about the Masai Village, the balloon ride, the delicious food and the temporary city we set up in the Masai Mara. This place is unreal.
I’m sadly leaving Nairobi tomorrow but really looking forward to South Africa and Germany and then HOME TO THE ATL for three days before hiking Machu Pichu and habla-ing Espanola. Keep me posted. MORE PICS ON FACEBOOK. ~EKY V.
1 comment:
Sounds freakin' amazing. Can't wait to see the pics on facebook. Miss you. What are the three days you will be back in the ATL??? Tell me one more time.
Post a Comment